Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Rush Limbaugh Factor

source*
You may hate Rush Limbaugh, and you wouldn't be the only one. But there is no doubt he is relevant in any discussion about the FDA.

For years, one of Limbaugh's main advertisers was Zicam, a homeopathic cold remedy. It was banned in 2009 by the FDA due to claims that it was causing anosmia, or loss of smell, in certain individuals.

Here is Limbaugh's shocked response to the ban from June 18, 2009:

"It's very deceitful, this Zicam stuff, folks, someday I'm going to be able to tell you the truth about this. What the FDA did yesterday regarding Zicam is unprecedented. The FDA has never done before what it did yesterday. This is a company being targeted for, let's face it, obvious reasons."

Again, you may hate Limbaugh. But that does not mean there is no truth to any of his claims. Yesterday, I mentioned that the FDA has not flinched from alarming the public in cases where its reputation was not at stake. I think the Zicam episode is a perfect example.

There are myriad drugs on the market that are homeopathic and, no doubt, very weird. But they are out there and being marketed without FDA approval. Even pepper spray is sold without FDA approval.

All I am saying is, if I want to spritz Zicam up my nose, I should have the right to do so. I am also saying that the FDA putting the kibosh on Zicam was purely political. 

The FDA is one of many government bureaucracies that Limbaugh has taken swipes at, and I think they wanted revenge and found their target in Zicam. 

source*

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think the FDA was justified? Do you miss Zicam? More importantly, are you comfortable with the idea of the FDA having the power to summarily pluck homeopathic remedies off of pharmacy shelves?


Or maybe you just think he deserved it. source*
                                                                  


2 comments:

  1. I think the chronology is something like this:
    Jan 2009: Limbaugh says "I hope he fails."
    Feb 2009: Limbaugh speaks at CPAC.
    end of May 2009: Margaret Hamburg, Pres. Obama's appointee as FDA admin, takes office
    mid-June 2009: Important Limbaugh advertiser is destroyed via administrative action by FDA.
    Is this why we have regulators?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point. I hadn't connected the dots in that way, but it does raise another level of questions about FDA politics.

      Delete